How to find a good Driving Instructor
It's not easy, especially with so many instructors and schools to choose from.
Pick up your local' Yellow Pages' or 'Thomson Local' and you will find hundreds of Instructors listed under Driving Schools.
And what type of course suits you,
Check out our driving school directory for an instructor in your area
Now we have the Theory test, most driving instructors (ADI's) will be able to offer you combined and integrated tuition providing both theoretical and practical training.
It makes good sense to make use of a professional ADI because they are an acknowledged expert in driver education and will know better than anyone how to prepare you for the tests.
Code of Practice for Approved Driving InstructorsThe DSA has introduced a
Code of Practice for Approved Driving Instructors.
The code leaflet can be obtained from any theory test and driving test centres. Your Driving Instructor should be able to obtain a leaflet for you.
It is hoped that ALL Driving Instructors will formally agree to adhere to the terms of the Code.
The Video below gives Advice from a Driving Examiner with over 30 years experience.
If you pick a school outAsk the following questions before you book. It may help you to see if this driving school is for YOU.
- How long have you been a driving Instructor?
- Do you have male or female instructors?
- Are all your instructors fully qualified?
- Can I have the same instructor for all my lessons?
- What type of cars do you use?
- Are the cars dual controlled?
- How old are the cars?
- DO I have the same car for every lesson?
- Do you have a individual pick up service?
- Do you work weekends?
- Can you pick me up after school, work or college?
- How much are your lessons? (the cheapest seldom means the best!!! ).
- Do you have discounts for block booking?
- Which Test centre do you use?
- What's your pass rate?
- How long is each lesson?
- Are they reliable?
- Are they friendly and patient?
- Does the instructor smoke?
- Is the car clean?
- Does the instructor do their shopping or visit the betting shop on your lessons?
( A good instructor seldom has to advertise )
Please Note:- A driving instructor must have their name entered on the Register held by the Driving Standards Agency. They must display a green ADI identification certificate like the one below (or a red one if the instructor is a trainee).
A driving instructor must pass a searching three-part examination to qualify, and they have to reach and maintain the high standards required by the Driving Standards Agency.
The standard of instruction of all ADIs is regularly checked by DSA. This is done by a DSA Supervising Examiner sitting in on a live lesson. The instructor is then graded:
grade 4 is competent
grade 5 is good
grade 6 is a very high standard.
Ask any potential instructor for their grade before embarking on a course of lessons.
In 2012, there were over 48,000 people on the Register of Approved Driving Instructors.
Ask the Instructor if they are adhering to the terms of the Code of Practice for Approved Driving Instructors
Illegal driving instructors.... are they working in your area?