Number of Questions
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
2) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
3) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
4) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
5) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
6) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
7) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
8) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the
exit is the first sign showing the junction
9) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
10) You are allowed on a motorway provided:-
11) When joining a motorway you should ?
2 answers required
12) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
13) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
14) What does this motorway sign mean?
15) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
16) What does this motorway sign mean?
17) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
18) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
19) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
20) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle
(exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)"
on a Motorway?
21) Motorway emergency telephones are usually
linked to the police.
In some areas they are
now linked to
22) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
23) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
24) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
25) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
26) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
27) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
28) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST
have your headlights switched on unless
29) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
30) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
31) What does this motorway sign show?
32) What does this motorway sign mean?
33) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
34) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
35) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
36) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
37) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
38) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
39) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
40) You are driving along the motorway in the inside lane.
You intend to turn left at the next available exit.
When should you signal left?
41) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
42) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
43) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
44) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
45) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
46) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
47) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway
if it has an engine size smaller than
48) You are intending to leave the motorway at
the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you
should normally position your vehicle
49) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
50) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway
What is the overall stopping distance?