More News Items
Learner drivers have spent over £100 million on failed theory tests
Thurs, 21st June,2018
Learner Drivers to be allowed on Motorways from June 2018
Thurs, 1st March,2018
Driving test changes: new 'show me, tell me' videos
Mon, 18th September,2017
Driving test changes from December 2017
Sat, 15th April,2017
New mobile phone laws enforced from 1st March 2017
Wed, 1st March,2017
Plans to let learner drivers have motorway driving lessons
Monday, 2nd January,2017
Road Signs On Holiday
Tuesday, 22nd June,2016
Sobering Statistics for Young Drivers
Friday, 26th February, 2016
Ban on Smoking in Cars
Abolition of the paper counterpart of the UK Driving Licence
Why satellite navigation shouldn't be used in driving tests
DSA and VOSA becomes The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
Monday 2nd December, 2013
End to foreign language driving tests
Friday, 11th October, 2013
Counting the cost of motoring convictions
Friday, 27th February, 2013
New rules for riding a motorcycle or moped from 19th January 2013
Friday, 11th January, 2013
Changes to the UK Driving Licence
Tuesday, 18th December, 2012
Could L-drivers start to learn at 16
Friday, 5th October, 2012
Find your lost theory test pass certificate number ONLINE
Sunday, 16th September, 2012
Learner drivers to be allowed on Motorways in England, Scotland and Wales from Monday 4 June 2018
Thurs, 1st March, 2018
Learner drivers will be allowed on motorways in England, Scotland and Wales from Monday 4 June 2018
Currently, you can only take motorway lessons after you have passed your driving test.
Some newly-qualified drivers take lessons through the voluntary Pass Plus scheme.
However, not all Learner Car Drivers will be able to learn on the Motorways.
There are special rules put in place.
- Learner Drivers need to be accompanied by an Approved Driving Instructor (Trainee driving instructors won’t be allowed to take learner drivers on the motorway).
- Driving a car fitted with dual controls.
- The car will need to display L plates on the front and rear if the rooftop box is removed. Many top boxes can be used at high speed, but it is advisable that instructors
check with the manufacturer about the maximum rated speed.
- You need to be 'TEST READY' and all other aspects of driving has been covered. It is recommended that motorway practical training takes place near to the end
of a learner’s pre-test training.
- Driving Schools have to check that their insurance company includes comprehensive cover on motorways.
If you live in a area with no motorway access, Don't worry. ask your instructor to cover the topic as a theory session, in discussion with Q&A, or set as homework, to be followed up with discussion during lessons.
The Goverment hopes these changes are being made to allow learner drivers to:
- get broader driving experience before taking their driving test
- get training on how to join and leave the motorway, overtake and use lanes correctly
- practise driving at higher speeds
- understand motorway specific traffic signs
- understand what to do if a vehicle breaks down on a motorway
- improve their confidence to drive on the motorway unsupervised after passing their driving test