PRINTABLE TEST (answers on the bottom of the page)
Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
1) What does this motorway sign mean?
2) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
3) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the
exit is the first sign showing the junction
4) What does this motorway sign show?
5) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
6) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
7) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
8) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
9) Which FOUR of these must NOT use
4 answers required
10) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
11) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
12) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
13) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
14) The left-hand lane of a motorway should be
15) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
16) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
17) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
18) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
19) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
20) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
21) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
22) On a motorway the amber reflective studs
can be found between
23) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
24) You must ensure that any load carried on or in your vehicle while driving along the motorway is: -
2 answers required
25) What does this motorway sign mean?
26) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
27) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
28) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
29) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
30) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
31) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
32) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
33) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
34) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
35) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
36) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
37) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
38) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
39) On a motorway what is used to reduce
40) Which of the following statement is correct?
41) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
42) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
43) What does this motorway sign mean?
44) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
45) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
46) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
47) You are allowed on a motorway provided:-
48) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
49) What does this motorway sign mean?
50) You are travelling on a motorway. You
decide you need a rest.
© Crown copyright material reproduced under licence from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, which does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of the reproduction