Number of Questions
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
2) What does this motorway sign mean?
3) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
4) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
5) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
6) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle
(exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)"
on a Motorway?
7) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
8) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
9) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
10) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
11) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the
exit is the first sign showing the junction
12) Which FOUR of these must NOT use
4 answers required
13) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
14) You are intending to leave the motorway at
the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you
should normally position your vehicle
15) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
16) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
17) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
18) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
19) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
20) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
21) What does this motorway sign mean?
22) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
23) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
24) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway
What is the overall stopping distance?
25) You are travelling on a motorway. You
decide you need a rest.
26) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
27) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
28) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
29) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
30) What does this motorway sign mean?
31) When joining a motorway you should ?
2 answers required
32) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
33) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
34) When joining a motorway you must always
35) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
36) What does this motorway sign mean?
37) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
38) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
39) On a motorway what is used to reduce
40) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
41) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
42) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway
if it has an engine size smaller than
43) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
44) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
45) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
46) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
47) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
48) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
49) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
50) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST
have your headlights switched on unless